Aspen, CO (October 9, 2015) — The legendary Colorado ski community of Aspen has been selected as the 2016 site of the induction ceremony and Skiing History Week for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame. The week of April 5-10, 2016 will feature skiing, skiing history presentations, awards ceremonies, a film festival and first tracks with Hall of Famers. All events are open to the public. Culminating the week will be the induction ceremony honoring the Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame’s class of 2015. This once in a lifetime event will be held at the St. Regis Aspen Resort on Saturday April 9, 2016.
The announcement of the incoming class of 2015 will for the first time be released in the induction’s host city of Aspen in October. The athletes and pioneers of our sport will be unveiled at a media and social event on Friday October 23rd at the Limelight Hotel. Aspen locals, Chris Davenport class of 2014 and John Clendenin class of 2013 will host the media event, celebrate with the community and welcome the new inductees.
The mission of the U. S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame is to honor athletes and sport builders for their lifelong national and international achievements in the sport. The National Ski Association of America, now known as USSA was established in 1905 in Ishpeming, MI., the birthplace of organized skiing. The Hall of Fame Museum, established in 1954 resides in Ishpeming as well. A national voting panel selects the incoming class in the fall of each year. This April, the class of 2015 will be inducted and honored in Aspen and ultimately enshrined the following September at the Museum in Ishpeming.
- Aspen, Colorado has been selected as the site of the 2016 induction ceremony of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame and Skiing History Week.
- The annual season-ending celebration of history is in partnership with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame, the International Skiing History Association and the Aspen Skiing Company.
- Ski Hall Induction: The Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame induction in the Grand Astor Ballroom of the St. Regis Aspen Resort is expected to sell out with a field of skiing and snowboarding greats. Over 500 are expected to attend the annual installation of the class of 2015 inductees.
- The induction will be the culmination of nearly a week of activities in Aspen during the April 6-10 Skiing History Week, which attracts hundreds of skiing history enthusiasts and recreational skiers.
- The induction ceremony rotates venue locations to major resorts, with a formal enshrinement ceremony held in Ishpeming each September. A National Voting Panel will cast ballots for the class of 2015 in September.
- Snow-100 Film Festival: The annual Ishpeming Snow-100 Film Festival will highlight some of the best films in skiing history, open to attendees and the Aspen community.
- Tickets and Registration: Registration for Skiing History Week events and tickets for the Hall of Fame induction will be available beginning Nov. 15 at www.skihall.org.
- Special lodging packages at the Limelight Hotel, The Sky Hotel and the St. Regis Aspen Resort, along with deeply discounted lift tickets are available to Skiing History Week registrants.
- Pre-induction event: On Friday October 23, 2015 at the Limelight Hotel Aspen, Chris Davenport ‘14 and John Clendenin ’13 will host a media and social event to announce this year’s class of inductees. Advance tickets to the induction will be available at discounted pricing for pre-event attendees.
|April 4-5||Early arrivals for skiing|
|Wed. April 6||Welcome Reception, presentation of Jerry Awards (Snow-100 Film Winners)|
|Thu. April 7||International Skiing History Association Awards – Hotel Jerome Snow-100 Film Festival continues|
|Fri. April 8||Legacy Lectures & Inductee Welcome Bash – Sky Hotel Aspen|
|Sat. April 9||Hall of Fame Induction, Grand Astor Ballroom, St. Regis Aspen Resort
Induction Afterburner Party – Limelight Hotel Aspen
|Sun. April 10||Hall of Famer’s First Tracks & breakfast send off
(schedule and all event tickets available Nov. 15 at www.skihall.org)
Tom Kelly, Chairman, U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame
“Aspen is a legendary ski town in the history of our sport. The Hall of Fame is proud to bring its annual induction to Aspen where we’ll enjoy a week of skiing and honor the highly accomplished athletes and pioneers of our sport.”
Christian Knapp, Vice President Marketing, Aspen Skiing Company
“The heritage of skiing has been ever present here in Aspen. We’re thrilled to host the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame Induction right here in Aspen. We want to invite and entice Skiing History Week enthusiasts to enjoy a week of skiing and festivities in our vibrant mountain community.”
Chris Davenport, Honored Member Class of 2014
“My recent induction into the Ski Hall of Fame was an amazing experience and to bring this once in a lifetime event to my hometown in 2016 is icing on the cake. I look forward to celebrating with the Hall of Fame alumni as well as the incoming class of game changers in our sport. Aspen, undoubtedly, will be a popular destination and an outstanding showcase venue for the week. I am also extremely excited to host, along with John Clendenin, a special pre-induction media event on October 23rd at the Limelight Hotel Aspen where the new class will be formally announced.”
PAST INDUCTION/SKIING HISTORY WEEK SITES
2015 – Steamboat Springs
2014 – Park City
2013 – Vail
2011 – Seattle
2010 – Sun Valley
2009 – Deer Valley
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Stacey Wooley: 719.362.6038 or email@example.com