Annual Explore Your Parks Program Encourages Close-to-Home Recreation to Kick Off National Camping Month
Alameda, CA (June 9, 2014) — June is National Camping Month, and for the fifth year running, The North Face Explore Your Parks program is encouraging families to get outdoors and enjoy the nation’s treasured and endangered State Parks this summer.
Through Explore Your Parks, The North Face and Regional Parks are offering more than 60 Camping 101 Events across the country for families that are new to camping, or for those who could use a refresher. The events offer advice and tips from park experts, as well as the necessary gear for first-time campers who want to join a group camping experience or camp on their own.
“This is a great way for families and first-time campers to get out and enjoy camping without the trepidation that comes with trying something new,” said Ann Krcik, director of Outdoor Exploration at The North Face. “The Explore Your Parks program is working to break down those barriers that keep people from getting outside and enjoying the state and city parks that belong to all of us.”
The North Face is also providing free Activity Guides packed with information about where to go and what to do in local parks. To download the Explore Your Parks Activity Guide for your area, please visit www.exploreyourparks.com/activities/.
“Our mission is to help people foster a love of the outdoors,” Krcik said. “With Explore Our Parks we are reaching kids at an early age. If kids experience outdoor activities in a positive way, it’s possible to set long-term habits for an overall healthier life.”
To learn more about participating and a free activity guide to local parks in their area, or participating in a first-time camping program from The North Face, please visit: www.exploreyourparks.com.
Camping 101 Events* taking place around the country this summer:
- California – Bay Area State Parks – Summer Learning Program – Mt. Tamalpais State Park (July 21-23 & July 28-30)
- Chicago Park District – Northerly Island (July 26-27 & September 27-28), Garfield Park Conservatory (August 9-10), Calumet Park (August 16-17), Gompers Park (September 13-14), CCFP Bullfrog Lake (September 20-21), Family Adventure Day (October 11)
- Georgia – A.H. Stephens State Park, F.D. Roosevelt State Park, Ft. Mountain State Park, Ft. Yargo State Park, General Coffee State Park, James H. Floyd State Park, Skidaway Island State Park (ongoing enrollment), Reed Bingham State Park (September – May)
- Idaho – Hell’s Gate State Park, Lake Cascade State Park, Priest Lake State Park (ongoing enrollment June – September)
- Maryland – Operation: Campout! Program for Military individuals and families, New Germany State Park, Patapsco Valley State Park, Pocomoke River State Park, Swallow Falls State Park (ongoing enrollment, contact Christina Holden at (410) 260-8155 or email@example.com)