This year in alpine skis, the fatter the better. Flat skis with waist widths 95mm-110mm are up 60% in units sold to more than 20,000 units in the first months of 2011/12. Here are some more trends to watch this season…
Trends to watch in 2011/2012
- Reverse and mixed camber ski sales doubled compared to pre-season sales a year ago to 32,000 pairs.
- The fatter, the better – flat skis with waist widths 95mm-110mm are up 60% in units sold to more than 20,000 units in the first months of 2011/2012.
- Rocker/Reverse camber snowboard sales continue to rise; now 70% of all boards sold are rocker.
- Bargain hunters will notice that snowboard apparel average prices are down 4% from August – October 2010.
- Helmets sales continue to grow, unit sales are up 12.5% so far this season.
- Sales of beacons, probes and shovels, necessities for the backcountry experience, are up 19% in units sold.
Reverse cambered snowboards are continuing to grow in popularity, and are up 34%.
Flat skis are up 38%.
Alpine apparel is up 12%.
Overall snow sports equipment, up 14%.
Juniors snowboard apparel is up 38%, despite the overall category only being up 4%.