Congratulations to the Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame Class of 2014!
The 2015 US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame induction ceremony took place on April 11 at Steamboat, capping off the events of Skiing History Week. “Our sport has a great legacy,” said Hall of Fame Chairman Tom Kelly. “Skiing History Week and the Hall of Fame Induction have grown considerably the last few years to celebrate the stars and pioneers of our sport and to reminisce about the great history of skiing that we all enjoy.”
The 2014 Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame inductees are, pictured above from top left:
- Curt Chase (CO), innovator and motivating force in the field of ski instruction for over 40 years, one of eight founders of the Professional Ski Instructors of America.
- Joe Cushing (NH), pioneer in ski area planning and design, influencing over 150 resorts including Stratton, Keystone and Deer Valley.
- Chris Davenport (CO), widely regarded as one of the world’s premier big mountain skiers, who in 2007 became the first person to ski all 54 of Colorado’s 14,000 foot peaks in one year.
- Kristina Koznick (CO), three-time Olympian and outstanding slalom racer from the midwest with six national titles and six World Cup victories.
- John McMurtry (CO), U.S. Ski Team coach and alpine development leader during the 1980s, establishing a regional feeder program bringing thousands of athletes to the sport.
- Ralph Miller (KY), one of America’s top skiing competitors in the 1950s where he excelled in four-event competitions and in 1955, he set a world speed record of 109 mph which stood for fifteen years.
- Ross Powers (VT), won the first U.S. Olympic medal in snowboarding, a bronze, at the 1998 Nagano Games and was the Olympic halfpipe champion in 2002, leading an American podium sweep.
- Erik Schlopy (UT), World Championship medalist, three-time Olympian and seven-time national champion who had one of the longest and most successful careers in U.S. ski racing history.
- Dr. Robert Smith (ID), dentist turned goggle inventor who changed the face of skiing in the 1960s when he developed a thermal lens goggle that did not fog and founded his eyewear company, Smith Optics.
- Jeannie Thoren (MN), regarded as the “Johnny Apple Seed” of women’s skiing, a pioneer in developing women’s specific ski equipment.
Top row from left- Kristina Koznick, Chris Davenport, Ralph Miller, John McMurtry, Erik Schlopy, Ross Powers and Joe Cushing. Front row, from left- Betsy Chase, wife of Curt Chase, Jean Smith, wife of Bob Smith, and Jeannie Thoren
Patagonia Mobile Worn Wear Tour: If It’s Broke, Fix It
Extending the life of our garments is the single most important thing we can do to lower our impact on the planet. In keeping our clothes in use longer, we reduce overall consumption.
This Downhill Run Is a Stunning Color Explosion
What happens when you pair paint-filled poles with quadruple ski world champion Marcel Hirscher?
Michael Fosdick, 63, a Steamboat Ski Patrol member who sustained serious injuries in an accident last week at Steamboat Ski Area, died Tuesday afternoon at Denver Health Medical Center.
“On behalf of my family, we express our deepest appreciation to each of you for your love, support, prayers, and memories of a man who lived his life with joy,” Fosdick’s wife, Martha, posted on a CaringBridge website set up for Fosdick.
Darn Tough Vermont Continues to Inhale Market Share
Darn Tough Vermont, American manufacturer of the fastest growing collection of outdoor performance socks, reports continued year-over-year growth with another record-setting quarter. With Q1 topline growth up 59% over the corresponding period in 2014, the Vermont sock company exceeded its Q1 goals. The company also had a record setting March, up 99% over March of last year.
Seirus Innovation Names New Sales Manager for Snow Sports Division
Seirus has named Dean Carlson as Sales Manager in its Snow Sports Division. Carlson will be involved in both key account and regional territory management, handling Seirus’ full line of cold-weather snow sports essentials.
G3 Hires Industry Veteran John Pieper as VP of Sales to Lead Its Growing Team
Building on the company’s biggest period of growth in its 20-year history, G3 has hired industry veteran, John Pieper as VP of Sales to lead the company’s quickly-expanding sales and distribution efforts.
TRANSWORLD BUSINESS Announces Editorial Appointments and Strengthened Print & Digital Strategy For 2015
TRANSWORLD BUSINESS is excited to announce that it will continue to build on its 20-year history as the number one source for action sports news and information with several new editorial appointments.
Discrete Clothing and HyperActive Capital Announce Investment Partnership
Utah based outdoor and active lifestyle brand, Discrete, announced a committed investment from HyperActive Capital on Friday. The investment will allow Discrete to scale current operations in order to meet increasing product demands.
L.L.Bean and CRAFT Sportswear North America Official Suppliers of the U.S. Ski Team
L.L.Bean, a leading outdoor equipment and apparel designer and merchant and CRAFT Sportswear North America, renowned for its cutting edge technology in world class competition and training wear, today announced a multi-year partnership with the U.S. Cross Country Ski Team and U.S. Nordic Combined Ski Team.
K2 Snowboarding Welcomes Jody Wachniak to Canadian Pro Team
K2 Snowboarding is pumped to announce the addition of versatile rider Jody Wachniak to its Canadian Pro Team. With roots in Whistler, British Columbia, Jody’s flawless style and technique make him a versatile rider who crushes urban riding, as well as park and backcountry shredding.
USA Luge and Adore Creative Premiere Visually Stunning Film Featuring the Fastest Sport on Ice
On March 24, USA Luge launched a marketing campaign following the release of a promotional film featuring the fastest athletes on ice. The film, designed to capture the intensity of the athlete’s experience, the concept of speed and the perception of time, was created by world famous sports filmmaker, Rupert Wainwright, and his firm, Adore Creative of Los Angeles.
ZEAL Optics Welcomes Olympic Snowboarder Kjersti Buaas to the Family
ZEAL Optics is proud to welcome Olympic snowboarder, Kjersti Buaas to its growing family of snow Ambassadors.
Sego Ski Co. Signs Skier Lynsey Dyer to Athlete Team: Pro Model to Follow Suit for 15/16
Continuing with its rapid rise to prominence in the ski industry, Sego Ski Co. is proud to announce the addition of Powder Female Skier of Year Lynsey Dyer to its Pro Team.
ZEAL Optics Welcome Snowboarder Forrest Shearer to the Family
ZEAL Optics is proud to welcome world renowned snowboarder Forrest Shearer to its family of snow Ambassadors.