China Tariffs: Take Action Now!
On Friday, May 10th a tariff increase went into effect on $200 billion in Chinese imports on "List 3," raising the tariffs from 10% to 25%. The tariffs apply to products that were shipped after 12:01 ET on Friday, May 10th.
Among the 6,000 products on the list, the snowsports-specific products include:
- Ski gloves (Subheadings 4203.21.55, 4203.21.60)
- Knit hats (Subheadings 6505.00.50, 6505.00.60)
- Sports bags (Subheadings 4202.92.31, 4202.92.39, 4202.92.45)
On Monday, May 13th, the Trump administration released a new proposed "List 4" of 25% tariffs on over $300 billion of Chinese-manufactured goods, that include:
- Performance outerwear
- Gloves, mittens
- Safety headgear
- Skis & bindings
- Ski boots
- Ice skates
- Toboggans, sleds
On June 28th, the Trump administration announced that the tariffs are "on-hold" pending further negotiations.
SIA Testified in Washington
On Tuesday, June 25th, SIA testified at a hearing at the International Trade Commission on behalf of all of our members. Click here for the full transcript of the testimony. Other winter sports brands that testified during the two-week hearing schedule include: VF Corp., Head USA, K2 Sports, Krimson Klover, Columbia Sportswear and Burton.
SIA Members Sign Letter
SIA members joined over 661 companies in a letter opposing the tariffs, organized by Americans For Free Trade a coalition of businesses and trade groups that we're are part of.
"Winter Sports Industry Feels Tariff Chill": Washington Examiner
Read the piece in The Washington Examiner about the tariffs and their impacts on the snow sports industry, featuring K2 Sports ad The Ute Mountaineer.
Krimson Klover Featured on NPR
SIA member, Krimson Klover testified in Washington and caught up with NPR. Listen to the interview with Krimson Klover's COO, Gail Ross.
Here's What You Can Do Now:
Whether you are a manufacturer or a retailer, It is critically important that you elevate your concerns to the USTR and your Congresspeople now. Some suggestions/key messaging:
- List the products, categories and/or specific HTS codes (see above)
- These tariffs are instead a tax that put an undue burden on your business and will ultimately be felt hardest by consumers through higher prices
- State the impacts of a 25% tariff on products to your specific business in the short and long-term - e.g. reduced sales forecasts, hiring freeze, layoffs, closed business, etc.
- Retailers: emphasize the importance of these products to your business and jobs you support in your community
- Let them know that there is not any US manufacturing option available for your products
The public comment period expires on June 17th so please take action now!
1. Submit A Comment To The USTR
Please submit a written comment to the USTR via the link below. It is important that you state what specific HTS codes you are writing about, and how these tariffs will impact your business.
Please feel free to download and use the sample comments via the link below.
2. Call Your Congresspeople:
Your Congresspeople need to hear from you! Take a moment and make a phone call. Call your specific Congresspeople and also those in states where you have retail partners/offices. See below to find the necessary contact info and download a call script.
3. Write Your Congresspeople:
Send a letter to your Congresspeople today. Use our sample letter below as a foundation - be as personal and as specific as you can in regards to the impacts to your business. Write your specific Congresspeople and also those in states where you have retail partners/offices. See below to find the necessary contact info and download a draft letter. Use the draft, but please personalize it as much as you can.
4. Visit Your Congresspeople At Their Local Office/Invite Them To Your Business:
Your congresspeople have home offices. Contact them and request a meeting. Or better yet, invite them to your business so they can see first hand what will be impacted. See contact information and talking points below.
5. Direct-Tweet Your Congresspeople
They will see this. Post the attached image and sample copy to your social media feed, and tweet your Senator/Representative.
@yourcongressperson, the snowsports industry supports thousands of jobs in our state. The tariffs are taxes, and my business nor my customers can absorb the eventual price increases. As your constituent, please fight these tariffs to protect our local businesses. #TariffsHurt
6. Speak To Media & Write An Op-Ed
Our industry continues to be vocal in the media. Please let us know if you can be available for media interviews or want to write an op-ed. We will provide you with messaging and talking points and draft/place an op-ed for you.