Industry News

Focused on Your Core Customer? Here’s Why You Might Want to Rethink That Strategy

November 9, 2015 | 0 Comments

Our recently released Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report is a treasure trove of data that you can use to refresh or totally reboot your strategies, and here’s a prime example. Focusing on the “core,” the loyal customers who represent the die-hard participant base, is often where snow sports suppliers and retailers hone in with their marketing strategies. But as SIA Research Director Kelly Davis points out, the Intelligence Report data tells us that roughly 80% of all skiers and riders are casual participants who only ski or snowboard a few times each season. See the slide below from Davis’ Intelligence Report presentation for the numbers by season:

As seen in the graph, last season 11.65 million people skied, but only about 20% of them did so more than 2 times. “While it would be easy to simply focus marketing and advertising on core participants who reliably buy equipment, apparel and accessories, the other 80% represent a larger market opportunity,” Davis says.

“These are participants who already ski and/or snowboard but may not yet own equipment, or accessories like goggles and technical apparel.  They are ready to be convinced that better snow sports gear will make their on-snow experience better.  Selling them on more frequent participation and a better experience may actually be easier and more cost effective for suppliers and retailers than trying to convince someone to try snow sports for the first time.  It’s this 80% who represent the largest opportunity for snow sports suppliers and retailers,” she concludes.

Photo credit: Tripp Fay/Copper Mountain

For more information about the 2014/15 Snow Sports Market data including snow sports sales, participation and overall trends, check out the newly released State of the Industry Video Series. The video series is based on the SIA Intelligence Report, which offers a behind-the-scenes look at the most recent snow sports season, including how much was bought, which sports are growing, how many people participated, and a look at what it means for the future of snow sports in America and beyond.

Check out the Descriptive Summary for an overview of the Intelligence Report. To get all of the information contained in the SIA Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report, and to request your copy, contact SIA Research Director Kelly Davis at [email protected] or 703-506-4224.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *